Bologna Battle Becomes Bigger (UPDATE! aftershocks)
Italy Severe // Earthquake
Another quake, this one 5.8, struck Northern Italy early Tuesday morning causing structures weakened by last week's quake to collapse and killing at least 17(correct) more people. Nine days ago, seven people were killed and over 50 others injured after a 5.6 shook the area just north of Bologna. Since then residents have been terrified by a steady stream of aftershocks that kept them sleeping in tents or in cars. Tuesday's earthquake was centered in the province of Modena. The towns of Mirandola and Cavezzo were closest to the epicenter. "Factories were full. Many of the workers were working on repairs to the already damaged buildings," said Andrea Vogt, a freelance journalist based in Bologna. "Some buildings which were damaged already in last week's earthquake were affected again today. San Felice sul Panaro and Mirandola registered most of the damage," a spokewoman said. Northern Italy is the heartland of the country's manufacturing industry. "It's going to have an economic impact as well as a human impact," Vogt said of the earthquake. Some train services have been suspended for safety reasons, and high speed trains from Bologna to Milan and Florence, among others, are running at slower speeds, train operators said. The earthquake of the last 10 days have been "a real shock" to locals. No one remembers so many earthquakes in such a short period of time in this area. ---- NOTE - 12:55pm another 5.6 ---Witnesses reported on Twitter that Cavezzo was about 70% destroyed. Pictures purportedly from the town, as well as a video stream from Italian newspaper Corriere de la Serra, show damaged and destroyed buildings. Italy's Institute of Geology said Tuesday's quake was followed by dozens of aftershocks.. The U.S. Geological Survey recorded one aftershock at 5.6 magnitude just before 1 p.m. local time. A spokeswoman for the government office in Modena said as many as 12,000 people could be displaced, including those affected by the previous earthquake. The Italian government declared a state of emergency in the earthquake-stricken area and announced June 4 as a national day of mourning for the victims.
/ 1 Comments/ Rumored